Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Calling All Jell-O Experts

For St. Patrick's Day I decided to whip up a green meal.  Not green like:
Green like these really yummy, tempting looking pancakes (slight sarcasm there) and green Jell-o

Now I will be the first to admit if I have a problem.  And to be honest people, I have a problem.  A real problem.  I can ride the New York New York roller coaster in Las Vegas (I am terrified of heights), run a marathon, live overseas on my own, count to 10 in 5 languages and earn a college degree, but I CAN NOT MAKE JELL-O.  (Glad I got that off my chest!)  I feel that I am a pretty decent cook for my family, but I have recently had pointed out to me by my husband realized that Jell-O is something that I can not do well.  Sadly, I think Jell-O falls in the same category as boiling water.  Jell-O, especially green Jell-O is somewhat of a staple here in Utah.  How am I suppose to fit in, when I can't offer to bring it to any social function?!?  I'm not sure how a person can mess up Jell-O, but the last 2 times I have tried, it always seems to have a rubbery texture, especially on the bottom of the pan. 
Please make me feel better and tell me that I am not alone here.  What is the solution and how do I pull out of my Jell-O making slump?  Any advice is GLADLY taken (for my family's sake).
Sincerely,
The only person in America who can't make Jell-O

2 comments:

Jello_Mom said...

Hi, it really sounds like you have 2 possible issues. First, your water may not be hot enough-I microwave mine in a glass pyrex dish until its boiling. Be sure to stir the water once, carefully, as it is "superheated" and will explosively boil over if you drop in the whole box of jello. Add jello slowly.

Second, you may not be mixing long enough. Green (lime)and grape strangely seem to need longer mixing...The box directions say you are supposed to stir for three minutes, I bump it up to four to make sure. Using a larger spoon (tablespoon instead of teaspoon) can help, too. Well, hope that helps. Good luck, and feel free to visit my blog to see what I did with green jello on St. Patrick's Day.

Allison @ Room Mom 101 said...

Thank you Jell-O mom. I will definitely be giving this a try and will let you know if I have any luck! :)