Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter Egg Nest Treat Idea

Last week I was in charge of making the Easter treat for the Young Women of my church. My mother-in-law helped me come up with this idea:
You may have seen a similar ideas for making nests using Chow Mein noodles?!?  These were made with scotcheroos.  Make a batch of scotcheroos (see below for recipe) and press them in a muffin tin.  Melt chocolate (I used melted chocolate chips) and pour over the top. While I was waiting for the scotcheroos and chocolate to set up, I colored some coconut with green food coloring for grass and added 3 jelly bean eggs to each nest.  Next, I popped the treats out of the muffin tin and individually wrapped each nest with a note that said...Hope you have an EGG-cellent Easter!

Scotcheroos Recipe:

1 c. light corn syrup              6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
1 c. sugar                             1 c. butterscotch chips
1 c. peanut butter                 1 c. chocolate chips

Measure corn syrup and sugar into large saucepan. Cook over med. Heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Add Rice Krispies. Stir until well coated. Press mixture into greased 9 x 13 pan. Set aside.
Melt chocolate & butterscotch chips together in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand firm. Cut into 1 x 2” bars and serve.

Have I mentioned before my LOVE for peanut butter and chocolate?  Oh my...these things are addicting!
Here is another very similar idea using no-bake cookies from All Things Heart and Home.

No comments: